RE: Re: Vinga Dar magic?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 22:48:16 -0000

> not the same thing Ash. What we are talking of here is a
> woman being the chieftan full time, not a caretaker. We
> currently have no published solution.
>
> The solution is to create A Vinga Dar proper, not just give
> her the Dar subcult, because thats been found wanting.
> Been found seriously wanting.

No, it's been found that there is a slight glitch when anyone, not just Vingans, who is not an Orlanth Allfather initiate, joins the Dar subcult, and misses out on some vital Feats. It becomes particularly relevant and in need of a solution in this case, but whatever solution we come up with will also need to apply to any other case of joining a sub-cult in an aspect other than your main one.

We nee Vinga Dar, Elmal Dar, the-other-aspects-of-Orlanth Dar, Issaries Dar....

Options?

  1. Allow the extra affinity as well, in direct contravention of an explicit Rule.
  2. Allow the feats to be learnt "standalone", and "free" as part of the initiation package, in terms of HP spend.
  3. For Dar (this doesn't have to apply to other subcults), move those extra feats to the main Lead Tribe affinity instead of having them in Allfather.

Any others?

> The answer is to have a new aspect to Vinga where the person
> gets what a man would get in the society.
> There is no rule that says that can't happen, its just not
> been published.
>
> Jane, why don't you do something and submit it to Issaries?

Because I suspect there's an answer already in the Rules, and when our Rules experts get back from their weekend drinking, they'll explain it. I try not to mend things unless I'm sure they're broken.

> not a very elegant solution. Next we will have the female
> 'King' have a male proxy to cover the things she can't!!

Which in terms of things like marrying the Feathered Horse Queen, she may well do... You may be looking for the word "champion" rather than "proxy" here? Delegation is not just allowed, it's normal.

Vingans as Ernalda the Queen:
> Vingans are special because they don't follow Ernalda. They
> are the loyal daughter of Orlanth. The runic assosciations I
> think make this supposition a non starter.

I think it could be done, but would be unusual. And is a separate problem.

> > PS: In Kallyr's case, she could have stayed an Initiate of Vanganth
> > after she became an Initiate of Dar. Presumably she didn't want the
> > additional cocommitmentn her time of worshipping two ssub-cults
>
> Jane? Any view on this?

Already expressed, I thought?

Yes, she gave up flight when she became Queen of the Kheldon. Take a look at the Vanganthi writeup - they make Destori look staid and mature. She grew up. A bit.

> Is it just becasue it was not
> included in the write ups

I know there's a lot missing from the writeups, but I don't think a Flight affinity and an extra cult (for which she doesn't have time) is part of it. Quite a lot of stand-alone feats probably are, though - there's a Defender Wind one we see her using at the end of the Sky Ship that isn't documented.

I expect what is missing (and quite right too, it's almost irrelevant under most circumstances) is that she'll still have the mundane skills from being Vanganthi, though she's probably ten years out of practice. I'd guess that she finds it easier to know what to do with flying troops than most Orlanthi warleaders. She can probably still throw a sword (don't let's get into that debate again, though!) - in fact, in my stories, I *know* she can, because I've seen her do it. And while "daredevil" is now more of a flaw than a virtue, I bet it isn't entirely bought off :)