Re: Charms and magic augmentation

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 12:18:48 -0800

> The general rules for magic says you can only augment with one
> spell/affinity/other at first, then can augment with one every
> 5 minutes, up to 3 after which it becomes harder/longer.

This is under the First Magic/Stacking Magic subheading. The intent is that you can't go into a contest with all augments up and running unless you have time to prepare a ritual. You can have one "Ready magic" ability usable in a surprise situation; up to three if you know a contest is in the offing; and as many as you want if there is time to do a ritual like the "Arming of Orlanth".

Once a contest begins you can augment with magic every round if you wish. Thius is the basis of the Swat team way of taking out a Mastery-Difference opponent in the FAQ. (http://www.glorantha.com/support/hq_faq.html#Core - "Question: I have been reading through book for last two days, and while I love the character creation methods and backgrounds and can only commend you on it, I find some of the mechanics a bit 'clunky'. I only just got my head around the 'mastery' notation (the cryptic nature of which however, does appeal to me). In particular, I find it difficult to see the process by which low level (non mastery) characters/groups can take on mastery level characters or monsters, especially in combat: do you have a brief example of how this might work?")

> Animists rules say charms are always on and always provide
> augment as long as they're in contact with your skin.

These are "Always On" augments - page 79, bottom of right hand column. They are not included in the "Stacking Magic" rules.

> How do these two rules interact? Only one charm as your first
> spell, then one every five minute, or are all your charms active
> all the time?

Charms are on all the time. They do not count against "Stacking Magic". You can have your Rabbits foot, and your Saint Christopher medal, and your lucky penny all providing augments all the time. (Mini-maxing players will male all these charms apply one activity - combat, or seduction, or travel or whatever. Most people would spread the augments around their skill set).

As Luke correctly stated - if it requires conscious effort to invoke the magic, it falls under "Stacking Magic". If it is an "always on" ability, like a charm, a weapon, etc. then it doesn't.

RR
- Richelieu