Re: Re: More augment thoughts

From: Ashley Munday <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 20:37:36 +0000 (GMT)

I'm a bit confused by the "waiting for people to add up comment" Rob and a couple of other people have made.

Hearing for the third time in a session "I augment my rhetoric with my sparkling wit" would receive a chorus of "WE KNOW" in most games I've played in. Basically unless it's unusual (for the character), I wouldn't bother describing something used for an auto-augment.

After a character has tried something a couple of times let them add in their common augments in advance. Otherwise it'd be like making a player describe all his augments, including situational modifiers, every round of an extended contest - completely potty as most will stay the same.

Bryan had the idea that the more augments you pile on during an extended contest the more you should bid. I'd have said that the amount you bid depends on what the things are you're augmenting with. So if you augment a combat ability with "Rampaging nutter" you don't bid 5% of your advantage points, but if you'd augmented with "cautious" risking a lot would be inappropriate.

Some augments would only come into play later in a contest. Augmenting with "tenacious" for the first exchange in an extended contest is probably a bit weak.

"I'm rash, I'll bid everything" or "I'm deliberate and logical, so I'll bid low to think it through" to get extra augments become as natural as "I have a crystal of Orlanth's blood augmenting my flight affinity."

Cheers,

Ash