Re: Literacy in the West?

From: Sam Elliot <sam.elliot1_at_...>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 13:09:17 -0000

To save Peter repeating himself again, the occupational keywords Clergyman (HQ p. 155), Apprentice (p. 162) and Wizard (HQ p. 164) all have at least Read (Language).

The Liturgist (p. 158) and Adept (p.163) are not automatically Clergymen or Apprentices/Wizards. For the Liturgist, if they are not clergymen, then "...many have just enough reading to read their scripture." For the Adept, "After learning the basics of magic (including how to read if he does not already know)...".

My initial querie was motivated by reading not being listed as an ability under adept. The same could arise for a non-clergy liturgist. It is, however, implied for both (or for the liturgist at least using the scripture as a prompt akin to Mike's suggestion). As Peter pointed out, this constitutes relative silence on the topic of non-wizard adepts (or non-clergy liturgists), in that reading is not listed as an ability for either. It is implied, so presumably a narrator would say, well, take it.

Hopefully, common sense will prevail and only an elite few will be allowed to know how to read. This is my understanding of what Peter said :) It also invites the possibility that the adept or liturgist who is not a wizard or clergyman is open to ridicule, has some doors closed etc.

Sam.