Re: Literacy in the West?

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 08:19:22 -0800

Sam

>My broad question is what sort of literacy rates are there in the
>west (including/esp. Ralios)?
>
>My more specific question, though, assuming that there is some
>literacy, is where does this come out out in keywords? Apart from
>Wizards and Scholars, the lack of literacy would seem to make the
>use of Grimoires very very restricted.

There's no Homeland: Safelster keyword, so it's hard to answer this.

I'd expect a fair amount of literacy since record-keeping will prove useful in many urban activities. Nothing says it has to be in a keyword however -- it's easy to add "Borgin comforts himself by reading from the Book of Prayer" to your description (gaining Pious, Read, and Book of Prayer abilities). I don't think there are any caste prohibitions on reading (at least not across all of the West -- the Brithini might have no literate Farmers).

Orderlies don't have to read to learn the spells from their formulary, but clearly it helps.

(In my game, there's no literacy among the East Wilds.)

--

David Dunham