Re: Substituting abilities

From: Benedict Adamson <yahoo_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 19:52:26 +0000

Rob wrote:
> I was considering this today. Heroquest is a narrative based game,
> with the logic of heroic fiction and movies. Therefore, say you had
> a non combatant - say a steadwife, with a raw spear skill of 17. If
> she was defending her kids, and had, say, a Love Family of 10W, I
> think it would be logical, for that situation to use the Love Family
> as he primary skill, and augment with the spear skill.

This is great once.

But it is a can of worms. It's quite easy to create uber-abilities that can be used in almost any situation. Why bother with combat skills and magic for your Heortling freedom fighter when you could use Sartar Patriot to do the lot?

In our games we tend to be much less strict about what we allow as *augments*, so using Love Family as an augment in that situation is more likely to meet with Narrator approval.