Re: Substituting abilities

From: Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_...>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 16:55:41 -0500

Rob" <robert_m_davis_at_...:

> To develop things further though, I would say that I would probably
> be firm in saying that the 'Love Family' would work in a situation I
> described. FREX, the stead is attacked, and the mother grabs her
> spear and joins the battle. She see an enemy clansmen standing over
> her children, sword raised. I would rule that strictly under those
> circumstances the Love Family would be a valid primary ability, but
> not before her family was so explicitly threatened.

Whether I allowed that skill to be used without deductions would depend on how the mother's player described her actions. If she's just trying to fight the enemy clansman she'd be on penalties. If she throws herself between the enemy and the children, or tries to distract him, or threatens him with a mother's curse if he touches a hair on their heads, then I'd let her use the skill at full value as a means of preserving her family. But now, I think she's changed her objective from 'defeat raiders' to 'save my children'. An ordinary success might mean that the children survive, but the stead is trashed and the raiders get away with the loot.

Andrew