Re: Digest Number 1824

From: Doug Bonar <dbonar_at_...>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 06:15:31 -0500

On 21 Mar 2005 09:09:55 -0000, HeroQuest-rules_at_yahoogroups.com <HeroQuest-rules_at_yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 00:22:47 -0600
> From: Random God <arandomgod_at_...>
> Subject: Re: Re: Substituting abilities
>
> " But now, I think she's changed her objective from 'defeat raiders'
> to 'save my children'. An ordinary success might mean that the
> children survive, but the stead is trashed and the raiders get away
> with the loot."
>
> Well, with the loot they need to survive the winter, or with the loot
> that she was gonna take to the fair for luxuries? I mean, I see a
> substantial difference there.

   In the end, I think that point (and maybe this whole thread) is a problem with HQ. Every context could (can? will?) becomes an exercise in trying to convince the other players and the GM what skills and augments apply. Then, after the roll, there is still a huge judgement call in how the results apply.

    Did she 'save her children' by killling the raiders, driving them off, chasing them away after they started the sted burning and stole the cattle, or even by dying while seeing the youngest carried off to be sold into slavery (still alive!). Obviously level of victory is one input into figuring out what should happen. But if the goal is ambiguous ('save my children'), there is a lot of room for after the fact arguing.

Doug