Re: Re: Fixed-length extended contests?

From: Ashley Munday <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:08:12 +0000 (GMT)

Sam and Mike have been discussing pacing extended contests. I completely missed Sam's point in my original posts (Duh!)...

>From re-reading bits of the conversation, one of the
things he'd like to run a contest bound by something external to the main protagonists in the contest.

One of the ways of handling this is to add another side to the contest. To complete the football theme, you'd have three sides in the contest: Team A, Team B and the clock.

This would also work for someone trying to pick a lock while evil henchmen prowl the corridors of the palace.

Essentially what happens is that every round "the clock" works against one or more of the other participants. It would work equally against both teams in a football match but only against the picker in the lock picking example. The clock would generally have a far greater "tick" ability than the other protagonists, as it allows the GM to pace the contest. If it's dragging on too long, the clock can get more aggressive in it's AP bids 'til one or both teams loose.

Dunno if this is sort of thing Sam was looking for: If anyone's interested I can post an example.

Cheers,

Ash