RE: Re: Improvisational Modifier?

From: Richard Develyn <Richard.Develyn_at_...>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 16:10:41 +0100

From: David Dunham [mailto:dunham_at_...]

>> The main problem I can see at the moment is the gaining of a new skill at
>> level 12 by expending HPs when a similar ability with improvisation mods
>> could result in a higher rating. Makes you wonder why you would bother
>> getting it.

>Makes me wonder, too. Why not add to your existing skill? Everyone is
>better off if the number of rated skills on the character sheet is
>smaller (it's easier to grasp the character for both player and
>Narrator).

I agree but, the problem is that people will always just go for the most general skills. We tackled that problem in previous discussions by suggesting you shouldn't be able to raise (cheaply) a skill you used in an episode if you used it with improvisation. If you go for that extension, then it makes sense to create the new skill so that you can use it without improvisation and hence increase it quickly.

Richard