Re: Interesting Failure

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 10:20:21 -0000

Hi Josh

I would argue against this. I have gone to great lengths on another post to say that players should not be penalised in ways that they didn't know about. I mean, this is how it would go if I was the player,

Narrator: Ok, you reach a chasm thats about 10 feet accross. Rob: Oh, ok. How deep is it? Is there another way across? Narrator: Can't see the bottom. If you jump the resistance is 10W. Rob: ok, I'll do that. I have jump at 17, but I have Hero Points. Narrator: ok, roll.
[I roll a 19! The narrator rolls a 2]
Rob: Bugger! I hope there is a cunningly placed ledge! Narrator: Er no, you make it over to the other side but you have dropped your axe.
Rob: Hang on. Why is that? Come on Mr GM! Narrator: No, you failed your roll so you drop your axe. You scramble to your feet and....

The game continues with Rob wondering what other nasty suprises the narrator has whnever he enters a contest. Just my opinion.

Regards
Rob