RE: Designing Traditions?

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:26:22 -0600

I think that a tradition with only two practices would be rare - in fact that sounds like it constitutes a couple of independent practices instead. Unless the core practice really follows a Great Spirit who has no spirits underneath it. But that would be rare, I'd think. The impression I get is that each tradition has a plethora of spirits.

The general idea I get is that all Traditions have lots of practices. In fact, the ones listed are just samples in the sample traditions. That is, the Waha/Eritha Tradition probably has loads of other majestic spirits and practices worshiping them than are listed. Just as there are far more gods in the Storm Pantheon than are listed in the sample.

Meaning, generally, that a tradition should list as many of it's spirits as you think neccessary to get the idea across. But what I find happens in play is that players come up with their own practices (gods, wizardry schools, etc). Yes, if you have a lot of examples, they may select one. But it's just as viable to put down the minimum - as you say, a core practice, and a shamanic one (and maybe one other for flavor) - and then allow the players to come up with more if they don't take to the ones there.

Note that for starting characters, they technically get one practice, and in a religion where there's a core practice (note that SurEnslib doesn't have one), they have to take the one listed. So for that character, for that sort of tradition, that's all you need produce just to get going. It's once play is going, and the player wants to know what other practices they can join that they start making up more.

"Can there be a Seagull practice to go with the whole Sea Struggle Tradition, Mike?" she asked me.

"But, of course!" I reply.

Mike