Re: Designing Traditions?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:46:50 -0800

> >If the practice is a wide-ranging one (in what sorts of activities it
> >covers), then it will probably have more spirits, and the spirits will
have
> >widely-ranging abilities, to fit anyone who worships. If the practice is
> >narrow in scope, then the number of spirits might be smaller, or the
> >spirits
> >might even be specific to a single activity.
>
> First, was I right in saying that traditions probably will have more
> practices than are listed? Not independent spirits here, but part of the
> tradition that's just not listed?

Depends - they will certainly have access to Helper and Independent (and enemy) practices. Frex, there are other "aspect" or "age-unit" practices in The Grazer tradition that aren't mentioned in HQ (Henird the Leader, Josad the Elder under Yu Kargzant, Arandayla the Horse Mother in La-Ungariant, mentioned in HW), likewise the Praxians have the "Secret Societies" which might include Practices.

So yes, there are more practices in the traditions than just those mentioned in HQ.

> Second, the spirits that are listed under a practice - are they just
> samples, too? Or do the listed spirits represent the sum total of all the
> types that are available (one can have more than one of a type, I
believe).
> If I recall, the spirits listed in a practice are just samples as well,
and
> not neccessarily exhaustive. Or do I have that incorrect?

Just samples. If you want a practice to have more/different spirits, make them up, though consider how well they fit in the mythos - Yu Kargzant *probably* won't have Water Spirits, frex. Consider if the spirits fit better in a helper/enemy/independent practice - a Water Spirit might be accessible from a "river" practice, rather than Yu Kargzant. And that practice might be independent/helper (people outside the grazers also have access to it). But perhaps it was "captured" by Yu Kargzant and only his worshippers have access to it (though probably only specific people within those worshippers have access to it).

RR
- Richelieu