Re: A race

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 13:41:32 -0600

>From: "Light Castle" <light_castle_at_...>

>So you can target whoever you want on your turn? 0AP is just you've fallen
>so far behind you'll never catch up? (Barring a final action.) How do you
>determine order? (which might sometimes be important)

Do please check out the link I sent. All of this is covered I think.

But quickly, the obvious thing is that the one who goes to zero first comes in last place. The next is second last, etc, til the last man standing wins.

Ever seen Chariots of Fire? Races are often portrayed as contests between the guy you are racing next to at the moment. I think of each victory as the character passing the other. Taken literally, this means you can only pass somebody who you haven't passed before (and who has not then overtaken you back). Which is cool, because it generally means you can only attack the people ahead of you. If you want to get very literal, you can make AP a strict indicator of position, and only allow a character to attack the person ahead of him.

This is not, actually, a change to the rules at all, it's simply a standard situational limit. You can't attack to kill somebody with a sword if they're not adjacent to you, so you're required to first roll to close the distance. So you can't roll to "pass" somebody unless you first pass the person behind them. Do a sample for yourself, and you'll see what I mean.

Mike