Re: Question on a feat Deathsong Berserk

From: Bryan <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 12:32:34 -0000

> But that element of drama was only there because the PC really did
> expect to die. If we make it just a "yeah, +2 and you survive", it's a
> bit boring. Havifn Deathsong Berserk have the same effect as "Sword
> Help" just doesn't cut it.
>
> I'm not sure how I'd go for a "best of both worlds" effect. Insist on it
> being a high rolled augment, perhaps? Then at least the results aren't
> boring. Perhaps say that if your rolled augment is a critical, you get
> the full RQ-like original - doubling of skill, or something, and
> straight to join Humakt's unspellable warband thereafter?

How about making its use automatically change the hero's objective to: "Do this thing FOR SURE, and die in the process." Then give a big situational bonus, because the hero is expecting to die and really doesn't care about getting hurt except for how it might stop her/him/it from completing this last harvest first. So the only way you survive is if you fail in your task. If you succeed, you die because that was part of your objective.

Also seems like the sort of thing that really should be an active ability more than an augment, perhaps?

--Bryan