re: Rolling for an automatic augment.

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 08:18:44 -0700

John

> > I'd base it on the modified ability, on the theory that a devout
>> liturgist (practicing in a holier church, with a larger
>> congregation) should provide more powerful blessings.
>
>So you think the benefits from
>
> - a larger community size
> - - (for a bigger Community Support bonus)
> - - (for a larger Guardian Essence)*
> - more and/or 'bigger' relics (etc.)
> - a more skilled liturgist
>
>can keep up with the seemingly crippling effect that then Multiple
>Target penalty reaches as the congregation size grows?

Well, I haven't had to do the math (and don't forget that most of the time, you don't need to bother rolling). But if you had to worry about the multiple target penalty *without* any augments, then you'd really be in trouble...

>* Actually, do Guardian Essences grow in power as the size of the
>congregation grows? Given that the HQ book explicitly says (on page
>174) the strength of Reliquaries (which >function< as Guardian
>Essences) DO NOT depend on the size or piety of the congregation, can
>I therefore assume that (normal, page 173) Guardian Essences do?
>
>If so, is there a chart somewhere which shows how the strength of a
>Guardian Essence varies with the size of a congregation?

I think this is implied by the Improving Your Guardian rules (p. 95) which use the Community Support Bonus table (p. 91) to determine maximum potential.

--

David Dunham