Building an Experienced Character

From: Thomas Bagwell <tom.bagwell_at_...>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 17:15:25 -0000

I've discussed this a bit with Mike on The Forge, but thought I would toss the question out here as well. (Also, I'm impatient, anxious to get this hammered out, and just eager to discuss it.)

I've owned HeroQuest for awhile, and have finally go my group to agree to give it a try. It's a non-Gloranthan setting, and it's the first time with the system for everyone.

First, some background on the situation.

I'm running a campaign that has been going for several years, intermittantly. We haven't been particularly happy with the system, and I've dragged my group through several systems trying to find one that worked well. They've been very patient, and assured me that I have no choice because they like the setting and their characters no matter how I try to sabotage it by my system choices...:)

HeroQuest looks like it might be the system I've been searching for, and the group is willing to give it a try. They are actually rather enthused after I gave them a rundown on the mechanical details, such as masteries, how contests work, the open nature of the system, etc.

The game has gone for probably 80 sessions or so, and the characters are quite competent. If we had been using a leveled system, such as Rolemaster, I would probably place them at around 15-20th level or so.

To generate their characters, I've first had them use the standard HeroQuest rules to narratively create their characters as they were at the beginning of the campaign. (The setting is relatively high-powered, and the original system defaulted to an assumption of fairly butch beginning characters.) Then I intend to 'boost' them to appropriate current levels.

My first act was to give each of them an additional Occupational Keyword. This fits well, since they are all doing different things now than they were initially. It's very appropriate.

I'm giving them an additional Homeland Keyword due to specific events in the campaign. It's a limited one that would mainly provide skills in an area they are unlikely to venture through again. Still, it will provide the characters with more depth and reflect an important several episodes in their lives.

Here's where I would appreciate advice. My initial thought, based on the 'Experienced Character' sections of the book, was to give them 10 points to add to their 5 Keywords (no more than 4-5 to any one of them). I also considered giving them 5 or so +2 advances for individual skills.

Mike's suggestion was somewhat more radical. He suggested about 60 points added to Keywords, and 100 Hero Points for additional skills.
(Not clear as to if those are to be spent as Hero Points or as
Starting Points.) Wow. Certainly far more generous than the book suggests, but his reasoning made sense.

Since I'm probably aiming more at 15th level equivalence, and (it being a new system for us) looking at taking a cautious approach
(since I can up the points later if they don't look sufficiently
experienced)...My initial response was to drop that to 50 for Keywords and 75 for skills.

What do you think? Their characters have gone through about 15 years gametime (about half active and about half in downtime / bluebooked / individual business. They've been exposted to and accomplished a hell of a lot, and I don't want to penalize their abilities. But I don't want to overdo it, either.

Tom B.