Re: Building an Experienced Character

From: Stephen Tempest <e-g_at_...>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 14:08:01 +0100

"Thomas Bagwell" <tom.bagwell_at_...> writes:

>Here's where I would appreciate advice. My initial thought, based on
>the 'Experienced Character' sections of the book, was to give them 10
>points to add to their 5 Keywords (no more than 4-5 to any one of
>them). I also considered giving them 5 or so +2 advances for
>individual skills.

>Mike's suggestion was somewhat more radical. He suggested about 60
>points added to Keywords, and 100 Hero Points for additional skills.
>(Not clear as to if those are to be spent as Hero Points or as
>Starting Points.) Wow. Certainly far more generous than the book
>suggests, but his reasoning made sense.

If you give people extra keywords, that represents them getting a much _broader_ range of abilities. If, instead, you give them lots of points to add to their existing keywords, that means they have got much better at what they do.

So if Starting Character Bob has Spear & Shield Combat 17, do you want Experienced Character Bob to have Spear & Shield Combat 17M2; _or_ Spear & Shield Combat 20, Climbing 20, Hulking Strength 20, Cookery 20 and Appreciation of Brithini Iron Statuary 20?

My preference would be to go for a more purely points-based approach, and let the players either buy new abilities (or even new keywords) or put the points into existing abilities, as they choose. However, you would need to put a cap on any individual skill level.

As a checklist, compare the final ability scores against the typical opponents and resistances table.

Ability 15 - you've had some training, but you're still not particularly good at it.

Ability 15M - you're a competent professional

Ability 15M2 - you're an expert, perhaps the best in your city or tribe.

Ability 15M3 - World class. People tell stories about you.

Ability 15M4 - Superheroic. They'll be telling stories about you long after you're dead.

Ability 15M5 - On a par with demigods. People make pilgrimages to your birthplace, which has a shrine in your honour.

Ability 15M6 - on a par with lesser gods. People worship you in the hope of sharing your divine power.

In a D20 system game, I'd put 15th-20th level characters at the low M3 level of mastery: but it really depends on what kind of opposition you want them to face. Also, don't forget that if they have lots of high-level abilities, they can be getting half-a-dozen +3 augments, which is worth another level of mastery right there.

Stephen