RE: Re: Building an Experienced Character

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:55:55 -0500

>From: "Thomas Bagwell" <tom.bagwell_at_...>

>Partly to ease into the characters and system,

This is the second time I've seen this idea proffered. That giving out less AE will somehow make the system easier for players to adjust to. I frankly can't see at all the point? The system works precisely the same at any level of ability. So I'm curious as to what you're getting at here.

If it's just having too many levels to assign or something, do it for them. And then let them rearrange if/when they find it "wrong." But even this is hardly different from normal starting chargen.

>...and partly because their downtime was often not very strenuous. It
>largely consisted of them working on individual projects and goals with no
>real time pressure.

No, see, you're not following my line of reasoning. We know that the characters did enough interesting things between when they were "starting characters" and when you want to introduce them as HQ characters with experience that they got to 15th or 20th level. What this says is that they did, in fact, live through enough interesting times to merit more. Basically, if you actually had played through all of this stuff using HQ, the characters would have a lot more HP that they would have had to spend on their characters to lift them up. The AE in this case is just a shortcut to represent that spending, since you've done all of this as "background" and not in play.

Basically if you only give them experince for their downtime, and not for all of the advnetures they've had, then they won't be as experienced as they should be. Right?

If it makes you more comfortable to not do this as AE, but as "backdated advancement" then throw them a larger pool of HP to represent the adventures. I'm thinking another hundred or two points and raise the cap by ten or so. Someting like that. But, really, doing it with more AE is a lot simpler and will probably work better, too. You're not using the Saga System here, you're uisng the AE system. And that says give them the keyword levels that they need to represent all that has gone before.

What I'm afraid of is that they're going to meet up with a rampaging giant, the sort that they used to stomp for lunch in the original system, walk up to it and get their asses handed to them. Which is not to say that the original system's scale is good so much that you're not even keeping up with the "Gloranthan" level of competence with what you're suggesting. You're going to get characters who, on the resistance scale, would be something like "Vetran soldiers." Not the heroes that they remember their characters as being.

Basically I'm not seeing what the fear is here.

Mike