Re: Common Magic and religion

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 11:06:52 -0700

Light Castle wrote:
> I seem to recall the opposite. Despite Kolat being part of the Storm
> Tribe, most people don't get to be practitioners and communal members.
> Yes, most people have common magic and don't concentrate anything, but
> actually having 2 of the otherworld systems is virtually unheard of,
> even when the religion incorporates it.

We may agree more than disagree, then--My understanding was just that the typical person has lots of different kinds of magic, but *not* that the magic necessarily comes from some Otherworld. So the way it works out may be, "You get Otherworld magic from your religion; you get whatever common magic you can pick up." So it would be rare for a Heortling to be a spirit *practitioner*, but it would be quite common for a Heortling to have some spirit magic (a common magic charm, which comes from the middle world, not the Spirit World.

> Common Magic is the overlap that gives you what you describe below.
> (Except that someone has already said that Orlanthi expect all common
> magic to be Talents, which would invalidate your description if true.
> Personally I go with something closer to yours.)

As I understand it, the only common magics *taught by the Storm Tribe religion* are the Flesh Man talents. So those are the only common magics   likely to be found across the breadth of Kerofinela and Heortland. But any individual tribe, clan, or stead might have its own common magics picked up from whatever source. In my example, the farmer offers sacrifices to the brook spirit--well, only people who live near the brook would do that (or even know that it *has* a spirit). The farmer knows a "pig childbirth" spell not because he learned it on a Holy Day, but because a wandering tinker taught him the spell in exchange for a good meal and a straw hat.

In game terms, I think this works out as--If you're playing a Heortling, and you want to put down a common magic talent from the Flesh Man list, you just go ahead and do it--it needs no further explanation. If you want to put down some *other* kind of common magic, like a "heal burns" spell, you need to explain it to the narrator, but he should be tolerant--the explanation can be as simple as "we have an Aeolian thrall, he taught us some spells".