Re: Changing contest goals

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 19:35:50 -0000

Hi LC

That was intended as a humurous geddit, so I apologise if it sounded rude.

LC continues:
> You are a PC, your goal in an extended contest is to flee off the
tula
> without being caught and identified. You are losing the chase
badly to a
> fast runner/tracker type. You turn and decide to strike your
pursuer
> instead (you are a better fighter). Possibly you are attempting to
knock
> them out/back/away so that they can't pull off your mask, the
goals here
> haven't changed. OR you decide "I must now kill this man." In the
> latter, should the other person still have all the AP the
accumulated
> from transfers at your expense during the chase? Isn't this a new
> contest?
>
> LC

In this situation I would then make a new contest sure. Basically the character has resigned from running away. Its not, IMO the same as the debate question. One is based upon interperatation of an interpersonal resolution, the other is the character stopped running in order to fight.

Lets suppose that you were being run down, and you said that you would like to use Burst of Speed from your Movement Affinity. The fellow chasing also has a movement afinity, but is an initiate. Thus it becomes the pc's Burst of speed + a few augments, say 10M, vs the other guy, say 5M less 10, being unconcentrated. This gives the player character the edge by changing the focus of the contest.

I guess its a judgement call. You are correct in saying that you cannot just choose ANY ability. You have to choose one that suits your goal.

Imagine the running scene again. Your losing, down to your last AP. You have Frightening Bellow of 15M. You say, I am going to make a desperation bid of all your starting AP to try and frighten the chaser off. He happens to have a brave of 1M. If you succeed in winning the contest the other guy gives up/ is to frightened to continue. If you lose big time, 'perhaps mid shout you feel his javelin pierce your heart.......'

All the best
Rob