RE: Using the flaws of others...

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 14:05:58 -0500

>From: Tony Davis <gallows_brother_at_...>

>So, what we don't have in the HQ system is a way to use other people's
>flaws and personality traits against them.

Jane and others beat me to it. Negative augments.

But for the player's heroes, if you're a nasty narrator, you have another option. Let's say that the character has "Fear Dragon" and somebody raises the specter of a dragon in conversation or something. What you can do is call for a contest for the character to master their fear. That is, have the player roll against a resistance to stay set at the level of the character's Fear Dragon personality trait.

I do this a lot. Character has "Loves Haggis?" then have him pass by a haggis shop as he's supposed to be on some other errand, and have him roll to resist heading in for a bite. No, technically there's no rule saying that you can use a character's ability against him as a resistance, per se, but the rule does give you as narrator the right to set resistances at whatever level is appropriate. I always happen to feel that a character's ability level like this is the perfect level to set such a resistance at.

:-)

Mike