Re: Re: Using the flaws of others...

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 13:23:10 -0700

Rob wrote:
> --- In HeroQuest-rules_at_yahoogroups.com, Tony Davis
> <gallows_brother_at_y...> wrote:
>
>>Ok, so what do you guys do?  Do you let your PCs
>>stumble accidentally onto the flaws of the NPCs?

> This is a good question. I think that some flaws or character traits
> are more aparent than others. Some cultures have well known flaws.

I think the best bet, for a player, is to use an approach which will probably work regardless, but might get a bonus if the enemy has a particular flaw. Saying "I attack the troll with my Flare of Great Light" is very risky--if he doesn't have a good-sized "fear light" flaw, your attack will do nothing. On the other hand, choosing to attack with your "Blazing spear" feat (instead of, say, your "Swift stroke" feat or summat) is safer. If the troll has a "fear light" flaw, that flaw will give you a bonus. If he doesn't, your attack will proceed normally, as if you'd used "blazing spear" against a human.

Of course, if the troll has "*hate* light", you may just make him angry--and then the bonus goes to him, not you!