Re: Augmenting and Play Styles

From: ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 19:50:17 -0000

Rob Davis:

> Its just I notice Mike using American Football phrases, like 'being
> on the same page' and Forge phrases which mean something different
> to what we might imagine they mean if interpereted in every day
> language.
>
> I have been reading some of the essays, and its good stuff by and
> large. There are 3 types of game agenda's

Certainly, that meaning had never even occurred to me. If, indeed, that was what he meant by the word 'agenda', it's no wonder we failed to understand each other!

> With Heroquest, defined as a 'Narrativism' type game its more common
> for house rules to actually begin to cater for differing agendas.
> For example, a pure gamism narrator may start to introduce gamism
> elements, such as hit locations, hard limits on augments, etc.

I would argue, in fact, that hard limits on augments are a narrativisit concept, and further narrativist aims (as I understand that term). While I can see how they might be interpreted as gamist, I think that's a lesser, almost incidental, effect. Their main purpose, IMO, is to create a more believable and entertaining narrative for the story, not to balance conflict between characters, set up challenges, etc. This, of course, assumes that I correctly understand what 'narrativism' means in this context, which not being a Forgite, I might not.

> Heroquest is very far from a Gmism game so if you approach it with
> that agenda you can't help but be disapointed.

I'd quite agree with that.

> This is what I think Mike is getting at: Present Heroquest with its
> strong narrativism agenda intact.

I believe that introducing an augment cap can be a very effective tool for doing just that. It won't work for everyone - I contend that not all narrativists have idential tastes - but I think that it will work for some.

> Of course nobody is saying that other styles have their benefits too.

I'm guessing there's a missing 'don't' in that sentene :)

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

MXLPs: 6 (Cap'n Q, Harvey Mills, Tim Hall x3, Brian Rogers)