Re: Augmenting and Play Styles

From: Mark Galeotti <mark_at_...>
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 21:58:35 -0000

Hi Rob,

> Coherence is measured by how much a
> game is of a given agenda. For example D&D is strongly 1.
> Heroquest is strongly 3.

[3 = Narrativist]

and

> With Heroquest, defined as a 'Narrativism' type game

I always twitch a little at this. Yes, HQ lends itself very well to the style of play Forgites define as Narrativist. However, it is important to remember that it was not written explicitly to that kind of agenda or even specific approach. Yes, a broad-brush and high adventure style rather than the grit-in-your-sandals of RQ, but my experience is that it can, for example, be played in a Simulationist way without disorting the rules.

Rob, I know you're not saying that it _was_ written to a Forgite manifesto, and to you and others who take the Narrativist road, all I can say is, have fun. However, I have seen a number of discussions about HQ and Narrativism end up becoming very Forgite and ending up implicitly or explicitly suggesting that HQ fits with its models and, by extension, _ought_ to be played in a particular way, and so I just wanted to jump in here.

YGWV, but YHQWV all the more

All the best

Mark

(who, FWIW, also fits mainly into the Narrativist persuasion...)