Re: Digest Number 1897

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 11:02:52 +0100 (BST)

>I would argue, in fact, that hard limits on augments
are >a narrativisit concept, and further narrativist aims (as >I understand that term).

I woud not have thought so.

The difficulty I think you are facing is learned reactions to players following play styles learned from other agnedas i.e. maximising their numbers to gain advantage or refuting others creative intepretations of abilities as unrealistic or relying on out-of-character knowledge. They assume a certain agenda and so play a certain way; it is easy to react by imposing limits believing that is the best way to guide them down the path you are after. Paradoxically it is better to have a dicussion about play agendas and invite players to participate ina certain way, while being reciprical.

That can be hard for all of us. Right now I need to concentrate on letting the players to feel able to create aspects of Glorantha during play such as myths, rituals etc. It is always a curve.

You might find it easier to understand some of this by stepping aside from HQ for a one-off session with a system that does signal this kind of agenda, something like The Pool or Sorceror.

Ian Cooper
0208-672-0717(H)07970-411892 (M)

"Give the kids tools, so they can go build their own houses; not the blueprint of what the houses should be." Tori Amos