Order spells as active abilities, nonconcentrated?

From: parental_unit_2 <parental_unit_2_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 04:58:03 -0000

Quick check on interpretation of a _HeroQuest_ rulebook entry: On page 161, left column, the book states:

"[An orderly] can cast a spell at any time, and use it as an active
ability or an augment."

Does this statement assume that the orderly has concentrated Wizardry? If the orderly has not concentrated, can he only use spells as augments?

This isn't obvious because of another statement on p. 161:

"Many orders require that orderlies give up all non-wizardly magic
before they will allow them to learn spells."

So most orderlies concentrate -- but what happens if they don't?

By the way, we have a character who knows some spirit magic but joined an order dedicated to Saint Arkat, whom some of our characters think is the greatest hero ever.

Rob