Re: Orderly spells actively without concentration?

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 16:51:24 -0700

Peter Metcalfe wrote:
> At 07:04 PM 8/19/2005 +0000, you wrote:
>

>>A quick question on the Wizardry rules: Can an orderly use his spells
>>actively, even if he has not concentrated his magic? The HeroQuest
>>book says that orderlies can use spells as active abilities, but on
>>the same page it says that many orders require orderlies to
>>concentrate before they will teach them spells.

> One does not preclude the other. The first is a rules requirement
> while the second is a restriction imposed by the order. An order
> can teach its spells to unconcentrated orderlies but they generally
> prefer not to.

Yes, but I think Rob's question is: *If* an orderly is not concentrated, *can he use spells actively?*

The rulebook seems to imply that he can--it says that all orderlies can use spells actively, and it also says that orderlies are not necessarily concentrated (implied by the statement that *some* orders specifically require concentration).

But the rulebook also implies that using magic actively (rather than just as an augment or to resist magic) is limited to people who concentrate their magic.

So, can non-concentrated orderlies use their spells *actively*?