RE: Enhancement/augmentation

From: COPPEAU, Jean-Christophe <Jean-Christophe.COPPEAU_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 14:03:10 +0200

        I feel somewhat the same way about augmentation. So let's look at some

        numbers. Take a typical disciple of a warrior deity, with 5w or less in

	the Combat affinity, who wants to get a simple +1 bonus to a weapon
	skill. Turns out the chances of getting a -1 (or worse) instead are
	better than 20%. So at least 1 in 5 theistic warriors preparing for
	fight will actually be struck with the punishment of the gods and
have to
	go into battle with a sub-par fighting ability. (BTW, if you dare
try for
	a +2, the chances of getting -2 or worse are 30% and up, depending
on
	your magic skills) Does this seem like a reasonable representation
of
	Gloranthan reality? And how on earth was it missed in playtesting?

	Jonas Schiött
	Göteborg

I do not agree ( it seems to become a habit ;-)² , cause as I remeber it, getting a +1 augmentation is only Resistance 5. So if you have a 5w Sword affinity in Combat and want to augment it by +1 with your Strength ability at 17, trying to put all your guts in this shot, you have good chance of success.
And if you fail, well that's logic in the narrative: An augmentation with your strength is not an edge, so you do not try to deal more damage, instead you try to be more impressive for example, and to make your opponent clumsy in his parry, if you fail then for this action, your opponent is not impressed, and acts with calm, having an more easy time because he knows the danger is no greater, and just have do it as normal. Concerning a magic augmentation, it's all about the same thing. Ok, you want to gain it because you are a theistic warrior. Still you deity is not at your beck and call to give you his attention full time at every combat. More, the augmentation may not be a bless from the deity, but the result of the fear of your opponent when you charge on him shouting the deity name. You failed, well sorry, you do not look impressive, try to be more convinced of your own faith ( after all perhaps you know the task at hand was not worthy enough for you to call the attention of the deity ) When you will have augmented Strength or Divine Strike to 15w1, instead of your 17, you won't have such a hard time. You really look impressive , or you have performed such deeds for your deity thet she considers worth it to give you some attention.

Of course that's just my point of view, but I like it this way in HW...

The Frenchy ;-)²