RE: Re: Summoning Otherworld entities

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:00:39 -0500

>From: "parental_unit_2" <parental_unit_2_at_...>
>
>Not a bad idea. However, this means positing an Open God World ability
>for theists. Most of the time, when theists need to cross over to the
>Otherworld, Mythology of <deity> is the relevant ability, which is why
>I asked about it.

My mistake, I meant Mythology (aI just assumed a cognate ability). So, yes, you use that. But it's not the same as just summoning the thing to you. Very different. Summoning means you don't have to face the God World and it's possible travails - using this method, you may fail to find what you're looking for unless you have the appropriate skills. Using the method I'm talking about, you go to the daimone - which is the same as tracking one down in the the mundane world.

Essentially what I'm saying is that summon would seem to serve to circumvent the need to go looking for a being to control. Command ciircumvents the need to bargain with the creature you have at hand. So, yeah, in the demon example, summoning it means, to me, that it arrives, and now you have to use some other ability to get it to do your will. Sans a feat to command it, you'll probably have to sell it your soul, so to speak, to get it to do what you want...

Mike