Re: Gaining Courage

From: Neil Smith <neil_at_...>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 19:52:17 +0100

On Friday 30 Sep 2005 1:47 pm, Trevor Ellis wrote:

> In HQ I anticipate there would be even longer periods of straight
> Role playing. I fear however that there is a danger that these will
> be punctuated by a solid stretch of Rule playing, then a few die
> roles before continuing the game.

Exactly the opposite happens, in my experience. The mechanics are very lightweight, so it's easy to call for a quick Simple Contest. Also, when there is some conflict, things like interpersonal abilities, relationships, personality traits, and the like all come into play and give mechanical support to the role-playing. The role-playing comes first, but the rules do a good job of supporting it.

I roll more dice when running HQ than virtually any other game.

Neil.

--
Neil Smith                         Milton Keynes Roleplaying Games Club
neil_at_...                           http://www.mk-rpg.org.uk