Re: Digest Number 83

From: Bryan Thexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 06:36:20 -0700 (PDT)

Someone suggested that to the Praxians their mounts may count as followers. I think this is an excellent suggestion!

Historically, top notch cavalry with trained war horses were as dangerous for their horses as for the rider. Let's face it, a horse that is willing to throw its weight (and hooves!) around can make life pretty difficult for the poor sods standing on the turf trying to hold it off.

In addition, horses were often killed from under their riders. This is why those who could afford it always came to battle with remounts held in reserve. Sounds a lot like what happens to followers to me!

So I'd suggest the following:
-if the animal is well trained for battle, it can lend
AP to its rider. This might take a simple "ride" roll, but for most nomads this would be an auto-success. Hmm, to minimize die rolling, I'd probably only suggest requiring a ride roll when the rider is changing mounts.
-if the animal has been trained to actively fight, and
the rider is trained to use a fighting mount, the mount can also count as an attacker for multiple attacker penalties. This probably requires that the mount and rider have trained together for a while.

Note that most non-elite, non-nomad cavalry would not have their horses (or other mounts) specified as followers.

--Bryan

Do You Yahoo!?
Send instant messages & get email alerts with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com/