Re: Re: acid

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 11:46:24 -0800

> > If you're doing extended contests, this sounds like
> > the sort of situation Edges were invented to handle.
>
> right, but nowadays we don't use edges.

They are still used in HQ: page 186 gives the low-down.

Ways you can use Poison or Acid without writing new rules...

  1. A simple augment to a bite/sting attack. The easiest option.
  2. A simple edge on a bite/sting attack

(both of these make the poison/acid a one-shot deal, without having to track
anything else. Sort of like RQ Blade venom. Perhaps the Contest Consequence is always one level worse for a poisoned/acid splashed target, so even a Victory carries with it a -1 "Hurt" penalty)

Or you can use an un-related action to bite/sting/spit.
(Variation 1: A simple Success/fail test - either the target gets hit with
the full effect of the poison/acid, or he is totally unaffected)

(Variation 2: The result of the attack will modify the strength of the
Acid/Poison. I suggest something like:
(based on the Contest Consequnces chart on pg 74. The Strength of the
Acid/poison would have to be pretty high, since you'll *usually* get a Minor or Marginal victory)
Complete Victory: Full Strength
Major Victory: Half Strength
Minor Victory: 1/10 Strength
Marginal Victory: Strength 1
  or
(Based on Variable Augment, page 80)

Complete or Major or Minor Victory: Strength x1 Marginal Victory : Strength x.5
)

3. Acid/poison simply inflicts a penalty on the target based on the result of the unrelated action: -1. -10%, -50% or Total knockout.
(Again, like RQ Blade venom-style damage)

4. Acid/Poison acts as a seperate opponent with it's own Action points and Attack value.
(This will distract the target - I wouldn't allow him to use most "Ignore
multiple attacker penalty" abilities to avoid the -3 for "additional attacker". However, if he Crits vrs the poison, you'll actually make him stronger, as he sucks up AP).

5. Acid/Poison acts as a Follower to "loan" AP to the poisoner.
(I don't like this option, as it gives a the poisoner a "free" loan of AP.
And if the effect is on-going so that he gets AP every round, that's *really* bad).

6. Acid/poison acts as a "negative follower", penalizing the target.
(Models a delibitating attack like tremors, weakness, etc.. Sort of like #4,
without having to make bids or worry about AP sucking by the target).

7. The Acid/Poison inflcts a Handicap (page 186) on the target
(modeling weakness)

If you use one of the the Unrelated action variations, you'll need to decide what to do in the case of multiple stings/bites.

Do you:
Add the strength of the poison/acid together to get a bigger attack? (Not usually recommeded)
Augment the first attack with the second attack? Use only the higher of the two attacks?
Only allow one attack?
Only allow one successful attack?

As far as defenses for the Poison/acid,

Armor may stop some acid or sprayed poison attacks Dexterity is a good defense - if they beast can't hit you... Once bitten, "Resist [Specific] Poison" or "Resist [Specfic] Acid"is the absolute best ability to use.
"Resist poison", "Healthy as an Ox", etc. might be suitable abiltiies with -2 to -5 penalties.
"No suitable ability" would go against the natural 6 "No ability" rating
(ouch!)

"Ignore Pain" might be a suitable ability for some sorts of poisons or acids.

Of course, there are many kinds of Poisons, some won't take effect for minutes, hours, or even days.

RR
- Richelieu