Re: Re: acid

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 16:33:24 -0600

Nice layout of options. Very comprehensive. I think the question is often one of how the goal of the contest is framed. Is the goal "Kill Opponent"? If so, then I'd merely make poison or acid an augment. No different really than the attacker being strong, right?

If the goal, however, is to "Get Acid on that guy and let it take him down," then, if/when successful, I'm going to just go from the original contest into another dealing with that. I mean, this works for ingested poisons, too.

  1. Contest to trick them into taking the poison.
  2. Contest for them to resist the poison.

Or other things:

  1. Contest to trick a person to come to your house.
  2. Contest to seduce them.

Really no different if you set the goals of the contest to allow another, perhaps advantageous contest. Smart characters can have a lot of fun fooling dumb but powerful ones into situations where they have the advantage. Think Ulyses blinding the cyclops so that he could then sneak out under the sheep effectively.

>From: "Roderick and Ellen Robertson" <rjremr_at_...>

>"No suitable ability" would go against the natural 6 "No ability" rating
>(ouch!)

I think this is going to be the case a lot of the time. This is why poisoning or acid is so fearsome, it's not something that you're generally prepared to deal with. Making not getting hit with the stuff the critical goal.

>Of course, there are many kinds of Poisons, some won't take effect for
>minutes, hours, or even days.

Yeah, HQ allows us to be realistic with poisons and acids and such. Really efficatious posions are rare - and acids even moreso in some ways. Meaning that with a poison at 13 made from some local plant, you're likely to get an effect against someone defending with a 6. Just won't kill them. Would be more like being poisoned with diswashing soap. Bad cramps, vomiting, etc. Acids might destroy leather armor, or cause painful burns, etc.

Mike