Re: "Neutrals"

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 18:51:03 -0800

>As long as we are talking about extended contests, I have a question about
>neutral parties.

As people have said, if there is no resistance, there is no contest.

>But on their turn, what do they bid with? They aren't actively resisting
him,
>they are just reluctant to be convinced or stick their neck out. I'd do it
as
>a simple contest, but the whole "making or losing headway" aspect of an
>extended contest felt right here.

The same abilities as they are resisting with - they *are* actively resisting him, just in a passive-aggresive way. Their goal in the contest is to "convince him to just drop it and quit rocking the boat."

Just borrow some suitable bureaucratic blow-off phrases ("I'm sorry, but your proposal doesn't meet our needs at this time", or "I'm sorry, but if you continue in your present course we may need to re-evaluate your position with this firm" or things to that effect). Switch around which ability/response you use (it *really* comes down to a single ability: "Conservative stick in the mud".)

The council might make unrelated actions - send the PC on a voyage to outer Slobbovia to inventory cow patties or somesuch, instead of a "direct attack" on his APs. After all, if they are trying to get him to not rock the baot, then getting him out of the country is as good as convincing him to drop it!

RR
- Richelieu