Re: "Neutral" Parties

From: Paul Andrew King <paul_at_...>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 08:06:15 +0000

>What do you think of the situation where three options make sense. Say I and
>my rival are trying to convince the Count to give me his daughter. The three
>obvious options are 1) I succeed in convincing the Count 2) My rival succeeds
>in convincing the Count 3) The Count rejects us both.

The Count's likely objective is not to give his daughter in marriage to anyone he deems unworthy. And he is going to be actively skeptical of one or both suitor's worthiness (a common situation in story is where the Hero's opponent is considered acceptable and will win by default).

So I'd run it as both suitors against the Count (if both succeed, the highest level of success gets the girl, if both fail neither does) with the option of doing down each other rather than directly promoting your own case.

--
--
Guide to Taoism_

Paul K.