Re: Re: "Neutrals"

From: Stephen Tempest <e-g_at_...>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 14:51:27 +0000

Lightcastle <light_castle_at_...> writes:
>On Thursday 03 November 2005 9:51 pm, Roderick and Ellen Robertson wrote:
>> The same abilities as they are resisting with - they *are* actively
>> resisting him, just in a passive-aggresive way.  Their goal in the contest
>> is to "convince him to just drop it and quit rocking the boat."
>
>I guess that is the solution I came up with, it just seems... unsatisfying
>somehow. Since the game died, I didn't get a chance to play it out and so it
>may have seemed fine once it started going.  I guess just giving them a sort
>of standardized bid works.

But think of all the different alternative methods of giving you the run-around - each one needing to be countered by a different ability:

  1. Refuse to listen to you

"I'm sorry, unless you're a member of the Traders' Guild we can't
listen to you. You want to join? Certainly, we'll put you on the waiting list. You can provide three references from current members of the Guild, can't you?"

2) Avoid you

"What's that? You never received an invitation to the meeting? I
can't imagine how that could have happened. Of course we'll make sure you're invited to the next one. Sorry? Where are the meetings held? Um, er - at a different place each time. We'll, er, let you know the location with your next invitation..."

3) Delay listening to you

"I'm sorry, the agenda is full, and so we won't be able to discuss
your proposal at this meeting. Try again next year." (That would be a high bid. Low bid would be "Before we consider your proposal, there are several other things to discuss")

4) Postpone the decision

"It's an interesting idea, but we can't make a decision without more
information. We'll need a detailed study of all the alternatives."

5) Appeal to tradition

"That's a foolhardy idea. What was good enough for our ancestors is
good enough for us."

6) Appeal to fear

"If we followed your idea, we might all go bankrupt, AND give the
Lunars a chance to interfere in our affairs. It's ridiculous."

7) Appeal to apathy

"But following your idea would mean all kinds of work for our members
- not to mention expense. I'm sorry, it's just not practical."

8) Ad hominem attacks

"Why should we listen to you, you badly-dressed son of a Sartarite
cattle thief?"

9) Time-wasting: over-focus on irrelevant or inconsequential matters

"So when we have the meeting with the Lunar deputy governor, what
should we wear? I mean, would wearing red clothing seem too pushy or forward? Perhaps a nice orangey-crimson? Or maybe kind of a russet shade, like that dress Lord Thingy's wife wore at the last banquet... (etc etc etc)"

  1. Time-wasting: going off at a complete tangent

"So, young man, I understand you've a proposal to put to us. Come in,
sit down by the fire. Dreadful weather we've been having, isn't it? Rain non-stop for three weeks. I can't remember the last time it rained like this. How about you, Berengar? Can you remember weather like this? Still, good for the fishermen, they say. I always remember my old grandfather telling me... (etc etc etc)"

  1. Internal politics

"Well, you've made a good case so far. What did Lord Berengar have to
say? He thought it was a good idea too, did he? Well, the man's a pompous jackass. If he liked your idea, there must be something wrong with it after all. I'll need to re-consider my opinion."

  1. Obstinancy

"The answer is no. Don't let the door hit you on your way out."

  1. Dithering

"Well, er, it seems like a good idea. Um, but we'll have to think
about it. Er, perhaps we could, er, schedule another meeting for later?"

I'm sure anyone who's worked for a large organisation could add more...

Stephen