Re: acid

From: Mark <markhumphreys_at_...>
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 23:41:55 -0000

> i've just been looking at the StarWarsQuest rules (in the HQ-rules
> files section) which gives a rule where those hit by high tech
> weaponry suffer one level of defeat greater than normal - so
> someone who suffers a marginal defeat when hit by a laser blast
> actually suffers the effects of a minor defeat.
>
> has anyone tried this? does it work in the Star Wars context? would
> it work here?

Hi, I wrote the starwarsquest stuff and TBH I don't bother with using the high-tech weaponry rule in my game anymore (nor the scaling rules, for that matter). Both rules really stem from my pre-HQ preconceptions and don't really fit in with conflict resolution-type ideas.

I would just treat 'Spray Formic Acid' as an ability like any other, presumably within the Ant species keyword. If you or your players want to focus some more on the details you could add some extra acidrelated  abilities (Eat Through Anything, Precise Shot, etc) or even make the whole thing into a keyword of its own.

I don't think you necessarily need any special rules or different contests to preserve a difference between accuracy and damage. You already have plenty of tools for this in contest framing, augments, improv modifiers, and how you narrate the results.

This last one is particularly important because it also extends to how you describe the kind of 'wound' the loser receives. These can really help create or reinforce the 'feel' of a particular weapon or ability - Driven Off By Suppressive Fire -10% is a very different outcome from Horrific Face Burns -10% or Dissolving Leather Armour - 10%, for example.

Hope that helps

soviet