Re: Charms for friends

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 15:19:43 -0800

> > Second, the devotee will Backslide from concentration for
> > using it, losing
> > the benefits of concentration *and* his Devotee status (which
> > requires that he be concentrated).
>
> (grin) So the charm she's about to offer him that has some slight chance
of
> saving him from drowning won't work, to put it mildly. OK...

Right.

> Is there any way a spiritist *can* use their magic to assist their
friends?
> Feats can be cast on others, sorcery stuff can be cast on others, but it
> seems if you lend a friend a charm, it counts as them casting the magic
> themselves.

Assuming by "friends" you mean "wierdoes that don't belong to my tradition/practice...

Release the spirit from a fetish, 8and* convince it to use it's magic for the (hopeful) target of your aid.

I'd make a "Friendship with spirit" contest out of it - using something like the "Follower reluctance" table (86) to determine the spirit's reluctance to help someone that isn't their boss. Maybe something like:
Help another member of the tradition/practice 17 Help someone not in the tradition/practice 5w Help someone outside the practice that worships something antithetical to the spirit (frex, a Fertility spirit asked to aid a Death worshipper, or a Fire Spirit asked to help a Water worshipper).

So it's possible to do, but not automatic, and the fun comes when the practitioner is completely defeated by the spirit...

RR
- Richelieu