Re: Charms for friends

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 21:48:34 -0600

>From: "Roderick and Ellen Robertson" <rjremr_at_...>
>
>Assuming by "friends" you mean "wierdoes that don't belong to� my
>tradition/practice...

OK, I don't think this'll change the answer, but I do want to clarify something here and ask the question again.

When you say "Tradition/Practice" you mean very specifically in this case "Snake Practice/SurEnslib Tradition" - that's the tradition in this case (though I can't remember what the real name of the practice is). So the person would have to be at least a "spritist member of the practice" to be able to get charms. Is that correct?

What about "Tradition Charms," however? SurEnslib Charms not associated with any practice (like "Dance All Day" IIRC). Who can she make these for? Any member of the tradition, I'm assuming?

Now, one thing about SurEnslib is that I got the feeling that it wasn't actually a lunar religion, though I probably have that wrong (and don't have ILH1 with me to check). But, let's say it is part of the Lunar way for argument's sake, or think Jakaleel here instead if that's important. The rest of the group in question is lunar to some extent - still a no go? She still can't make them charms, because they're not in the same tradition? Even if the gods/spirits in question are OK with each other?

As another example, a Kolating shaman can't make a tradition charm (if there is such a thing) for an Orlanthi Initiate of Helemakt? Basically we're getting into that territory that I was at previously about what beings allow worship of what other beings. Now it may simply be that spirits are such that you absolutely have to be in the tradition - but, generally speaking, is there some limit of this sort? Put another way, is the Kolating practitioner prevented from initiating to Helemakt and learning his affinities? Of course if he wants to devote to Helemakt, he'll have to drop the Kolating stuff. But in the meanwhile?

So is there a general proscription against getting magic from "acceptable" beings who are from another otherworld? Or is the animist one, should it exist, specific to animism? We've probably hit this from slightly different angles before, but I feel it's a pretty important topic.

Anyhow, what's interesting is that the "Humakti" in question is actually, from what I understand, "Hum'Akti," meaning he worships the Carmanian Humakt. Who I believe is Lunarized, though I may be incorrect about that as well (is the Carmanian Orthodoxy under the Lunar Cycle?). As such, if the character were, in theory an initiate of Humakt, and, as such not concentrated, and part of the Lunar Way, and if the proscription against charms being given out to people outside the tradition is meant to be about acceptable gods/spirits, etc...then he might be techically eligible. Probably not for one of three reasons in there, but just saying...

In any case, I'm sure that the Darjiini spirits won't have anything to do with a Humakti based soley on fearing getting dead or something. To say nothing of the social implications. But the ramifications are worth talking about. How about this one...can a Jakalleel witch make a tradition charm for a Darjiini practitioner? Or, if SurEnslib isn't Lunarized, then how about some other Lunarized tradition (I'm sure that Jackallel isn't the only one).

Or...is this going to be made clear in ILH2? :-)

Mike