RE: Charms for friends

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 08:00:08 -0000

> Well, I was speaking generally.

And I'd originally asked a deliberately general question, knowing that specifics were going to get complicated. Looks like I was right. Still, now we have the nice simple generalities out of the way...

> Tradition spirits (Surenslib has Fertility and Great Bog
> spirits, frex) are
> put into Tradition charms, and used by anyone of the
> SurEnslib tradition.

Which, getting specific again, means half a dozen or so NPCs here.

> > Charms made from a
> Shantamar Animal Spirit can only be used by a Shantamar
> worshipper - not by a Peraskos practice worshipper.

Etc. Some of those NPCs, but probably not all. PCs still out of luck, unless they want to convert and join the practice.

> > Now, one thing about SurEnslib is that I got the feeling
> that it wasn't actually a lunar religion,

> It's not Lunar, it's a totally "normal" (HQ-Rules-standard)
> spirit tradition native to Darjiin

Glad I got that one right.

> Jakaleel has the From Dark tradition. From Dark tradition
> charms are only usable by From Dark worshippers.

> By the rules a hero can be a practitioner and a initate
> (and/or a orderly or
> even adept) at the same time - as long as he doesn't
> concentrate.

And at this point I throw in even more complication, and think that at the time we generated this character, we didn't really understand what was going on.

She's primarily Darjiini, SurEnslib tradition, Black Death Snake practice.

But her 100 words include "has learnt the ways of the Seven_Mothers" - yes, level of commitment unspecified.
She has 7 moms common magic, three charms, two talents - and we've assumed that's subject to the Lunar cycle. (If it really is CM, I now suspect that it isn't cyclical).
And, "Jakaleel's servant "Opener-of-the-ways" shows her spirits". Yes, she's got a Jakaleel fetish, whose magic is very definitely cyclical (or we have to go back and re-write half the plot, as a rather important thing would never have happened). Yes, it's definitely a fetish. She's released it once.

Looks like she's also a member of Jakaleel's tradition? Or something?