Re: Charms for friends

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 09:19:46 -0800

> > >Looks like she's also a member of Jakaleel's
> > tradition? Or something?
> >
> > I'd put that under "Heroes are exceptions".

Heroes are always exceptions. But it's up to the narrator if player-heroes can *start* as exceptions or they have to work at it...

> I could, but it seems to me to be a cop-out. Would
> making her a member of Jakaleel's tradition as well
> explain the results I've got? And if so, is it
> possible? I don't see why not, myself, two animist
> traditions that are friendly to each other.

It is certainly possible. She needs to be an practitioner-equivalent* of the
>From Dark tradition, in addition to her SurEnslib tradition.

"She's primarily Darjiini, SurEnslib tradition, Black Death Snake practice." At least she's an animist in her "outside" religion - Jakaleel is pretty strict about that (the one entity in the Lunar Way that *is* strict about how & what you worship - people *always* find the hardest examples...)

> 7Moms *initiate* is an interesting addition, but again
> doesn't seem impossible since she isn't concentrated.

If she's got a Jakaleel fetish, then she's a member of From Dark, not the 7Moms**. But otherwise you assumption is correct. As she is not concentrated, she can worship both SurEnslib and Jakaleel, even though they have two different Otherwolds.

RR
- Richelieu

Denominations are the lunar name for cults/churches/orders/traditions. It is the entire congregation of worshippers of an entity. There can be sub-denominations, or even two denominations for the same entity (different aspects). A Denomination usualy has many temples inn different towns/cities/remote areas (Eyzaal the Alchemist...).

Radiances are bureaucratic collections of denominations. They are intended to help the Emperor control the denominations. They also form the Chain of Reverence (similar to the sorcerous Chain of Veneration). Radiances can run temple complexes that provide their worshippers with one-stop shopping for all their religious needs.

Adherants are the "Communal Worshippers" of the Lunar Way. They get Blessings & Charms, and can call on Divine aid.

Novitiates are the next step up. they have to worship a single Lunar entity (yes, there *are* rules for worship of multiple entities, but it is rare among the non-hero populace). They get Affinities, Formularies, Grimoires and/or Fetishes (depending on the type of magic their entity teaches - some teach only one kind of magic, some teach two, and some teach all three).

Ordinates are the "Must be concentrated" level, and they get Feats like devotees, can become shamans, or become a magus (the 3rd level or Sorcerous worship - rules to come out in a future book about the west)

Preceptors are the "make magic for others" class - the equivalent of Liturgists and practitioners that make charms for others. the main Book of the Lunar Way is the Rufus Scripts. They are actually placed "between" Mortals and Immortals in the magico/religious hiearchy. Some preceptors are only for a single entity - like a Priest of Humakt. Some are for an entire radiance. Some are specialized for, say, a particular regiment (The Silver Sheilds, frex, have preceptors that lead worship for Sedenya (the entire Lunar way communal worship, basically), Yanafal Tarnils, Iphara Elnestratos (the regimental diety), and Hwarin Dalthippa. They don't lead worship for Jajagappa or Odalya (who are also worshipped by members of the regiment), because those beings aren't Lunar - they have their own God-talkers.

Hierarchs are the Priest/God-talker/Spirit-talker/Clergyman equivalent (That is - "Hierarch" is an ocupational keyword, not a magical one). They run the temples, and might be any level or worshipper - a temple hierarch might be the Lunar equivalent of a "Clerk in orders" - only an adherant, or he might be the High Preceptor of his Denomination.

Demagogues are "lay preachers" and rabble rousers. Demagogue is also an occupational keyword. They normally don't rise higher than Adherant, and rarely have a full understanding opf the Lunar Way. All those wacky White Moon Religions, as well as the Mobs, are lead by Demagoues