RE: Charms for friends

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 13:27:42 -0600

>From: "Jane Williams" <janewilliams20_at_...>
>
>Looks like she's also a member of Jakaleel's tradition? Or something?

I'd say no. For one it's a sorta dangerous proposition to allow a player to gain abilities mechanically implied by other abilities. Bascially wherever there are prerequisites, players could simply say that they have the end ability, and that this implies that they have the pre-requisites. I think this would be a ploy I'd not allow, at least.

But could the ability be allowed under the premise that she got it in a heroquest? I don't think that the character generation rules say you can't take such an ability - the keywords only show the normal methods for getting them, which makes it implausible if those conditions aren't satisfied. But if there's another way it could happen, I think it might be legal to take such an ability.

BTW, this solves another problem I had in another game. At one point a player wanted to try to deal with one of my GM characters' spirits by using his animism skillz to try and bind it. I know now that this is not kosher, but I allowed it at the time (especially because the player got a complete victory somehow), the result being that the spirit in question sorta "went away" pending the PC having HP to actually bind the thing.

What I'm thinking now is that the resistance was high enough to say that what happened was that the spirit was turned off to it's creator understanding that the other character would subsequently heroquest to find it and bind it when he had a chance to do so.

Mike