RE: Charms for friends

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 19:38:07 -0000

> Pre-game backstory.

Er, yes... I'm not sure what other sort there is?

> If the Jakaleel spirit is acting in a way that
> is way beyond the norm (and that is what it is - not
> absolutely-completely-impossible) then there ought to be a reason.
> Is it the workings of Destiny, a Lunar magical plot, a case of
> reincarnation ?

I had it a little vague, but along the lines of her having been given a present that's a bit unusual for her level of Jakaleel interest, but has a very specific purpose. Rather like an initiate in a theist society being given a Divine Companion before they set out on a quest. I won't go into full motivation of the reasoning (she doesn't know half of it herself), but it was along the lines of "since we've screwed up your life rather badly, we'd better compensate".

> OK. it's more difficult after a lot of play, but the most likely
> problem would be other SurEnslib Traditionalists not noticing how
> weird this is. And maybe they just didn't want to comment (what sane
> person wants to mess around with madness spirits ?). You certainly
> don't have to change the fact that she has a Jakaleel fetish that
> works for her.

No, I don't. What she's got is a friend called "Opener of the ways". And he has a very high ability in "open spirit world", which, wandering around with no shaman to keep an eye on her, a very long way from home, she needs. There's no way a starting PC could have enough skill to get through that W3 barrier to go collecting new spirits, or doing anything else interesting. But if she releases her fetish, at full moon, with all the augments she can muster - well, we've been having interesting chats with things, and the new settlement has a Guardian as a result.

The few other Darjiini around here are qute happy to let her be weird, because it means that while they haven't really got a shaman, they've got something nearly as good.