Re: Charms for friends

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 13:58:32 -0600

>From: "Roderick and Ellen Robertson" <rjremr_at_...>
>
>Saint Hum'Akt is not Lunar. the Carmanian religion is not Lunar (ie,
>regulated by the Moon's cycles *and* part of the Lunar Way, even though the
>Red Emperor has a say in what goes on (One of his titles is Padishah of
>Carmania).)

Sorry, again, not reading my ILH1 (was assuming from Nick Brooke's Carmanian stuff that with Sedenya as prophet that this indicated it was Lunarized).

>3. The prohibition is against people outside the tradition, and the Lunar
>Way isn't a tradition.

This is the key point. Thanks.

>The Lunar Way is not a Tradition, and so all lunar worshippers (except
>those
>that are specifically in the From Dark tradition) fall outside the
>"tradition" requisite for getting a From Dark charm - they can't have them.

OK. It seemed to me that the "Lunar Way" was more than just an otherworld, but a religion as a whole - religion in this case being defined as in Orlanthi, which, as discussed, includes Kolat and Orlanth. But it's the "radiance" concept, if I understand it correctly, that differentiates between different groups in the Lunar Way. That is, From Dark Tradition is a Radiance, and another lunar tradition would be it's own radiance. Just like the Praxian Waha Tradition and the Yu-Kargzant Tradition are apart. So two Lunar tradition are as separated by this type of division as two non-lunar cults.

Still seems a tad odd. That is, given the ecumenical nature of the Red Goddess, one would think that the radiances would all be considered as one "tradition/pantheon/church" overall in these terms (just as theoretically Orlanth and Kolat are). That is, are there occasional radiances that include more than just one tradition? Is From Dark also grouped in a radiance that includes the other six sisters, for example? If so, then I am starting to get it better.

No, it's OK, I can wait for ILH2 for specifics. :-)

>My understanding of the "why" for the "must be a member" prohibition is
>that
>the spirit just won't respond to someone that doesn't know how to "talk" to
>them in the right way.

Well...you don't need to rationalize this. With other abilities they're simply never transferable. You can't make spells or feats that you can give to anyone ever. You always have to be a member to get the abilities normally (outside of, perhaps, heroquests). So they all have membership requirements. It's really only tradition charms that have the potential to be problematic.

Good thing, too, because you and Greg have pointed out how gods know who's using their abilities. Spells, on the other hand...anybody can learn a spell in theory without worshipping anyone. Hence sorcerers. :-)

Mike