Re: Charms for friends

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 12:58:38 -0800

 > Sorry, again, not reading my ILH1 (was assuming from Nick Brooke's Carmanian
> stuff that with Sedenya as prophet that this indicated it was Lunarized).

Sorry to say, but Nick's excellent work is not "official". The Carmanians are as not-Lunar as the worship of SurEnslib or Yelm or Vrimak the Celestial Aviator. Those religions all continue their age-old worship under the Empire.

> >The Lunar Way is not a Tradition, and so all lunar worshippers (except
> >those
> >that are specifically in the From Dark tradition) fall outside the
> >"tradition" requisite for getting a From Dark charm - they can't have
them.

> OK. It seemed to me that the "Lunar Way" was more than just an otherworld,
> but a religion as a whole - religion in this case being defined as in
> Orlanthi, which, as discussed, includes Kolat and Orlanth. But it's the
> "radiance" concept, if I understand it correctly, that differentiates

Denomination concept, actually. The From Dark Denomination includes the From Dark tradition, the Five Spirit Moons Practice, and the Jakaleel Shaman practice. (it's *also* it's own radiance, but that's more a bureaucratic distinction than anything - the Honeel denomination is its own radiance as well. The Army of the Moon is a radiance that includes many denominations (all those martial ones, including all the Lunar regimental dieties)).

> between different groups in the Lunar Way. That is, From Dark Tradition is
> Radiance, and another lunar tradition would be it's own radiance. Just
like
> the Praxian Waha Tradition and the Yu-Kargzant Tradition are apart. So two
> Lunar tradition are as separated by this type of division as two non-lunar
> cults.

Correct. A From Dark worshipper can't share charms with a Arimtasus worshipper, even though they are both "animist-like" lunar denominations. It doesn't matter that they are in different Radiences it matters that they are different Denominations.

> Still seems a tad odd. That is, given the ecumenical nature of the Red
> Goddess, one would think that the radiances would all be considered as one
> "tradition/pantheon/church" overall in these terms (just as theoretically
> Orlanth and Kolat are).

Ah, but you are forgetting the whole nature of bureaucracies! The Lunar Way is a finely developed bureacracy with the Emperor as its (nominal) head. After all, the Department of Homeland Security is *supposed* to coordinate all the various law enforcement, emergency services, etc in the United States. Do you think that the FBI and the local Police Department are all in each other's arms now?

>That is, are there occasional radiances that include
> more than just one tradition? Is From Dark also grouped in a radiance that
> includes the other six sisters, for example? If so, then I am starting to
> get it better.

Err, see above. Even within a Radience, two denominations would still be considered "outside the tradition" for the purposes of charms.

RR
- Richelieu