Re: Calling on followers in extended contests?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 07:59:52 -0800

> The situation: in the middle of an extended contest, a hero wants to
> switch to using the ability of one of his/her followers. The follower
> is present, but the use of the ability is not a clear "Its in the job
> description" type situation.
>
> Do you:
>
> a) Just decide yes or no the follower is or is not willing?
> b) Make a seperate roll based on the follower relationship, then if it
> succeeds take that action using the follower ability (and if it fails?)
> c) Take an unrelated action to persuade the follower, and then next
> action can use the follower ability?

Depends on how fast you want the contest to go, and your narrative style, but a persuade attempt should be done - option C. PC: "Hey, tackle that guy!"
Follower: "No way, I'm a scribe, I'll get mussed up!" PC: "But he's getting away!"
F: "So? That's why you have warriors. I write things. I can't risk these hands"
PC: #%^&*&%^! Okay, I'll get you that pearl-inlaid pen you've had your eye on..."
F: "Tallyho!"

takes at least an unrelated action in *my* book...

RR
- Richelieu