Re: Calling on followers in extended contests?

From: Bryan <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 18:45:24 -0000

Thanks Roderick!

I would say that your example is a clear case of "out of the job description." In those cases I'd agree that a seperate action to persuade them would be required.

I'll come back looking for input on a few more marginal cases. I'm thinking more along the lines of:

"Scribe, quickly while we have this fearsome warrior pinned, write the word of banishment on his forehead!" (using ability in a situation outside of normal)

Or "Maran Gor worshipping follower, quickly cause a mud-slide to block the stream, blocking the escape of the fish spirit I want to catch" (using ability to ends that are purely those of the hero, and a matter of indiference to the follower).

"Faithful turtle [who understands my words] swim through this massive vat of [cold] soup, and find Veyagush's eyeball, and bring it gently to the surface." (using an existing ability in a manner not normal for the follower)

In other words, using skills which they have, but in situations they may not have envisioned, or for ends they may not be particularly interested in....as I said originally, places where it is unclear if it is in the job description. Where the hero may have some expectation that the follower will do as told, but then again the follower may balk.

I guess that in part it would be a case by case call, and would also depend on how you see the relationship. Anyway, still interested if you see those as seperate actions.

-Bryan