Fw: Fw: Re: Charms for friends

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 22:53:10 -0800

Hi Gang,

Here's the official word from Greg. I left in the whole exchange, rather than making a "clean" copy (a clean version will go into the FAQ), because (I hope) my request for clarification will help your understanding of the rule.

There are two messages here - the first in line is Greg's response to my requests for clarification. The second is Greg's original answer that I'm commenting on. Greg's responses to my questions are marked by ">", my questions by ">>", and his original by ">>>",

It boils down to "Within your PC groups, you probably won't have trouble, but..."

RR
- Richelieu

> HI
>
> > Hmm, I think the short answer is wrong - "no" is so final :-).
>
> You are correct. The answer is "Yes, but... it depends on the
> relationships between the user and the recipient (target)."
>
> > So all Storm Tribe males can use their magic indiscriminately on each
> > other?
>
> Basicaly, yes.
> In the finely tuned version then maybe pesonal gripes could affect the
> ease of using it on others, but who cares for that level of detail really?
> A really STRONG emotion ("I hate him to death!") ought to have impact.
> But this is the whole point of the pantheon, after all.
>
> Mind you, inter-pantheon restrictions always supercede the general rule,
> so that the opposition of the Humakti and Chalana Arroy trumps the
> interpantheon cooperation, etc.
>
> > (Seems to be, under the "All members of the Storm Tribe" and "Can cast
on
> > other cults" provisions below).
> >
> > The final provision ("Complete stranger") seems to indicate that you can
> > cast magic on non-co-religionists
>
> You can do this also though simple force, of course. That Teshnos guy
> needs healing but is glaring at the guy who wounded him? Wel, if you are
> powerful enough a heal you can (try to) overcome that anyway.
>
> > if you have a Relationship
>
> This is the real key to it.
>
> > (or are both PCs).
>
> Not necessarily, but of course Narrator rules, and YGWV.
> But likely, if a roup is of disparate origins.
>
> > So, to sum up: Most PC groups won't have a problem casting feats on each
> > other.
> >
> > Correct?
>
> Correct.
>
> > RR
> > C'est par mon ordre et pour le bien de l'Etat que le porteur du pr�sent
> > fait ce qu'il a fait.
> > - Richelieu
> >

> > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> >

> >> Short answser: no.
> >>
> >> Long answer: Maybe.
> >>
> >> I am talking Glorantha here, not HQ rules, whatever they say (or
> >> actually,
> >> do not say.)
> >>
> >> It depends on two things.
> >>
> >> First, from whence the power?
> >>
> >> If the source of the power is conscious, then the magic has more
> >> limitations than if it is a spell (or comes from some similar lower
> >> plane
> >> Sorcerous World Source).
> >> Saints and Prophets, Gods and spirits have some sort of consciousness.
> >> They know what they are, and are aware of what they are being.
> >> Gods share their magic with another part of themselves (as a rule).
This