Re: Stacking Magic

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 07:37:49 -0800

> Ooops! Just read the rules first paragraph HQ p.101 and it suggests
> that multiple magic may incur a -3 per magic used to augment after the
> first. Is that to a differentitem, or just to the same ability?

First, remember that this is magic cast *before* the contest begins. This rule is *not* meant to limit players who do a lot of augmenting in the middle of the contest (basically, giving up a chance to hurt their for *now* in hopes of building up a big enough ability rating to hurt him even more later - or a chance to hurt him *at all* later...).

It's a similar rule as the "Multiple opponent" one, it's "-3 per extra magical ability used to augment", not "per ability being augmented".

> Say Rurella of Maran Gor uses Slash Foe to sharpen his axe, and then
> decided to use Slay Man on the axe as well - doe sthat give a -3 tot eh
> second augment?
> And is it a -3 to the Feat score (Say 18 total reduced to 15) or is it
> just a -1 rather +2 to the overall total, meaning the magic is
> counterproductive.

The first. Penalties are applied to ability ratings, not augments (or other outcomes of using the ability). So it's 18 reduced to 15 (or, in a beginning character, 17 reduced to 14 - reducing the automatic augment from +3 to +2)

> I seem to recall one can not have two feats from the same Affinity
> augmenting at the same time, is that corect? Nor can one claim an
> augment from you Affinity and a Feat of that Affinity on same contest? :)

Correct. The Affinity is the ability being used; feats are specific ways in which it's used. It's like saying "I slash at him with my sword" - "Slash" isn't the ability in use, "Sword and Shield fighting" is.

No ability can be used more than once as an augmentor on the same target ability - you can't augment twice with Strength, for instance.

> Sorry if I am being stupid,I am not good with rules systems, and thanks
> in advance for yoru help!

No problem.

RR
- Richelieu